LEAP’s voluntary practices provide energy companies the opportunity to:
- Manage risk (to social license, public relations, and legal liability if human remains are involved) with an efficient approach supported by the preservation community;
- Benchmark across the industry and improve practices through information exchange over time;
- Generate community goodwill and demonstrate leadership through corporate social responsibility; and
- Raise awareness of the culture and history of the communities in which companies work.
LEAP’s voluntary practices offer the preservation community the opportunity to:
- Recommend avoidance, minimization, or mitigation of development impacts to significant sites;
- Identify previously unknown historic and archaeological resources;
- Innovate preservation practice beyond the regulatory model by working with energy companies in a collaborative, mutually beneficial way; and
- Raise public awareness of the value of cultural and historic resources to improve our knowledge of the past.